Countdown to our 55th Reunion in 2025...
(watch this space in 2024)
Update 05/07/22: Full steam ahead with the May 2022 Alumni Weekend, at long last! Registration is now closed, as of Fri., 05/06/22.
A schedule of planned activities is listed below. Note that Sunnybrook Golf Club has been lined up for our joint CHA/SS off-campus gathering on Friday. Please thank your reunion teams for all their efforts!
Melissa Brown, Director of Alumni Relations, reports that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required for classmates attending Alumni Weekend on-campus.
The City of Philadelphia reimposed an indoor mask mandate on 04/18/22, then lifted it four days later. As of this update, there is no mask mandate in place. In any event, it would not have applied to Sunnybrook, which is outside city limits.
Note: Registration opened on March 1, 2022,
and closed on May 6, 2022.
Schedule of Events
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. — Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership Demo Day. Student entrepreneurs pitch to a panel of judges for venture funding opportunities. Thornley Middle School, CEL space.
- 7:00 p.m. — CEL 10th Anniversary Speaker: Entrepreneur and Educator Scott Galloway, founder of Section4 and professor of marketing at the NYU Stern School of Business. (Virtual).
- CHA/SS Class of 1970: There are no plans at this time for an arranged gathering. Please notify your class agent if you will be in town, and we may decide whether to meet up informally for dinner or drinks.
- 10:00 a.m. — Past and Present: Springside Classes of 1970 & 1972. Meet 5th Grade Girls for Q & A. Thornley Middle School Entrance, 8000 Cherokee Street.
- 10:00 a.m. — Past and Present: CHA Classes of 1970 & 1972. Meet 5th Grade Boys for Q & A. Thornley Middle School Entrance, 8000 Cherokee Street.
- 11:00 a.m. — Book signing with Dulcy Renner Kushmore '62. Cookbook with over 100 recipes from the Springside Class of 1962. Philadelphia Cricket Club, room TBA.
- 11:30 a.m. — Springside Milestone Luncheon (1970 & 5-year classes). Philadelphia Cricket Club, Cricket Room.
- 11:30 a.m. — CHA Guard Luncheon (1970 & 5-year classes). Philadelphia Cricket Club, Blue Room.
- 1:00 p.m. — SCH Today: CEL Student Showcase. Thornley Middle School, CEL Space.
- 1:30 p.m. — Campus Tours w/ student ambassadors. Meet at the Exchange, Wissahickon Inn, or Thornley Middle School Entrance.
- 3:30 p.m. — Girls Varsity Lacrosse vs. Notre Dame. Maguire Stadium, Landreth Field.
- 4:00 p.m. — Book Signing with Paul Hines H'03; purchase an autographed copy of The Lure of the Wissahickon Inn. Wissahickon Inn, Henry Library.
- 4:00 p.m. — Varsity Softball vs. Notre Dame. Softball Field.
- 4:00 p.m. — Boys Varsity Lacrosse vs. Malvern Prep. Class of 2016 Field.
- 5:00 p.m. — Girls JV Lacrosse vs. Notre Dame. Maguire Stadium, Landreth Field.
- 5:00 p.m. — CHA and Springside Alumni Associations Awards Ceremony. Wissahickon Inn, Epiphany Chapel.
- 5:15 p.m. — Boys JV Lacrosse vs. Malvern Prep. Class of 2016 Field.
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. — All-Alumni Cocktail Party. Wissahickon Inn Courtyard (rain location: Commons).
- 7:30-11:00 p.m. — Joint SS & CHA '70 gathering off-campus: Sunnybrook Golf Club, 398 Stenton Ave., Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462. $30/person includes dinner & open bar (advance registration only). See map and directions; download PDF. See also: SGC Guest Info & Dress Code (PDF).
- 10:00 a.m. — Alumni Family Playdate. McCausland Lower School Playground.
- 10:30 a.m. — Tour of the Barbara Crawford Gallery and Permanent Collection w/ Pia Druggan P'17 and former Arts Council Chair Melissa Haims P'21. Wissahickon Inn, Barbara Crawford Art Gallery.
- 11:00 a.m. — Campus Tour. Meet at McCausland Lower School Entrance, 8000 Cherokee Street.
- 12:00 noon — Black Alumni Brunch. Join us for our first annual brunch and meet members of the SCH Black Alumni Steering Committee. Jennings House, 416 West Springfield Avenue.
- 1:00 p.m. — Varsity Baseball vs. Alumni. Pearson Baseball Field.
- 4:00 p.m. — Rec Open House: Past, Present, and Future. Rec Performing Arts Center.
- 5:00 p.m. — Alumni Memorial Service (CHA & Springside). Wissahickon Inn, Epiphany Chapel.
- 6:00 p.m. — Reunion Alumni Cocktail Reception and Dinner w/ Scott Romig Band. Athletic Complex, Woodward Gym.
- Optional off-campus gatherings (CHA & SS separately) after the dinner & dancing to Scott Romig's band: time & locations TBD.
- CHA/SS Class of 1970: There are no plans at this time for an arranged gathering. Please notify your class agent if you will be in town, and/or plan to meet up informally with other classmates for brunch or drinks.
- So glad you could come. Have a safe trip home, and see you in 2025!
Register here for Alumni Weekend at SCH Academy. Cost $65/person; no charge for SS Milestone/CHA Guard Luncheons. $30/person for Friday dinner & open bar at Sunnybrook GC.
Optional: Make a gift to SCH's "Restore the Rec" capital campaign, and dedicate it to the memory of William E. "Rug" Hall. We are looking for 100% class participation in this drive. Gifts can also be designated for other projects, depending upon your preference.
Download an Alumni Weekend schedule (May 12-14). Download a campus map (PDF or PNG file).
Parking at SCH
(1) Inn Lot (main entrance): 501 West Springfield Avenue;
(2) Stadium Lot: 500 West Willow Grove Avenue;
(3) Cherokee Lot: 8000 Cherokee Street.
Parking also occurs along both sides of West Willow Grove Avenue, starting from St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church and proceeding toward the Cherokee campus, unless indicated otherwise by pavement markings or signs. Please do not park in the Skating Club lot, unless directed to do so by school personnel.
Springside: Anne Borie Clements, Nina Webb Cullen, Anne Bregy Saltman, Becky Borie Walsh.
CHA: Bob Peck, Andrew Ross, Barry Shannon, Andrew Simon.
Last updated: 05/07/22. Check back periodically to see if there is any new information regarding off-campus activities. Let your class agent know if you plan to be in town on Thursday.
Welcome to the Springside Chestnut Hill Academy Class of 1970 Reunion Scrapbook!
This site was first published in 2010 to garner support and attendance at our CHA and Springside School 40th Class Reunions, which attracted record turnouts. Since that time, as our two schools have merged into a single family, it has evolved into a place where classmates can share milestones in their lives through photo galleries, video interviews, personal anecdotes, and other news.
It is a work in progress, and depends on class participation to succeed in its continuing mission: as a forum, a place to collect and reflect on nostalgic memories of our brothers and sisters from the former CHA and Springside.
We are looking for photographs (candid shots, out-takes, formal portraits, social occasions, etc.), artwork, audio/video files, news clippings, personal musings, poetry, tall tales — in short, anything which might paint a colorful picture of our times in school and on The Hill!
Friends and classmates who may have lost touch over the years will surely want to know about your professional career path, health & well-being, family news, and favorite activities. Don't be shy — write us a note, or scan some of your old keepsakes and send them along!
Please explore the links above, where you will find pages showcasing the lives and times of our classmates — then and now — as well as captivating histories of our two schools and the Chestnut Hill community.
These pages are not indexed by Google or other search engines; the document addresses are distributed to a select broadcast list of CHA & Springside alumni/ae, former faculty, as well as some SCH administrators (Alumni Office, Head of School, etc.). If you have any privacy concerns whatsoever, please mention them when you write.
Our mission is to reflect the thoughts and treasured memories of both CHA and Springside classmates on an equal standing. That includes school activities, extracurricular and sports programs which were valued components of our experience at each school, both individually and collectively.
At the present time, this site's collection of Springsiders' experiences and topic headings is under-represented — as can be seen when perusing the navigation links above. However, that is not how it's intended to be; it will require candid input and collaboration from Springside classmates to achieve the objective of co-equal representation. That includes adding new navigation links and stories, based on your contributions. So ladies, please don't hesitate to jump in headfirst!
We would like to acknowledge and thank all who have sent along your photos and comments to date, including a recent trove of precious memories from some of Springside's contingent: Anne Borie Clements, Anne Bregy Saltman, Becky Borie Walsh.
Special thanks to Jefferson Moak for his research on our CHA Class Roster (the Springside Class Roster is in progress); to the late Bill "Rug" Hall for his voluminous contributions of images, audio files, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia — as well as his unflagging encouragement to your webmaster.
Kudos to Barry Shannon, Rug, and Becky Walsh for their dedication in organizing our Class Reunions, and their tireless efforts as our class agents. We also welcome recent additions listed above under Reunion Teams, helping us to celebrate our belated 50th Reunion in
2020 2021 2022.
Old Guard, here we come!
You may have noticed that a new top-level domain, SCH1970.org, has been registered to host our Class Reunion Scrapbook going forward.
All old pages have been transitioned to the new domain. The "look-and-feel" of the site has been upgraded to a more aesthetic and responsive presentation, which plays nice in all viewports (incl. smartphones). New material is being added periodically, so we encourage you to bookmark the site in your browser and check back from time to time.
You can now post your comments on every page. A facility for uploading files directly to the webmaster from your desktop or phone is in the works! In the meantime, please feel free to send an email, and include attachments of digital photos or other documents.
Online publications: SCH Academy | Springside School